Sunday, March 11, 2007

Did you just eat a colon polyp?

Just saw a commercial on the telly from the American Cancer Society. Three people in a diner, all in their 50s, two women & one guy. The guy says something about getting tested for colon cancer as a preventive measure, & one of the women says, "How can getting tested prevent you from getting cancer?" The guy says, "I'll show you." (Yeah, I'm skeptical at this point too, but it's Sunday morning. How bad can it be??)

So he uses is spoon to trace an "S" through his mashed potatoes, and then puts a lima bean near one end. He says, "They look in your colon, and if they find a polyp, they take it out before it becomes cancerous." Then he scoops out the lima bean & eats it.

This might encourage me to get my colon checked for polyps, but I think the lima bean farmers of the world might be ticked about the sudden drop in demand. Plus, what is the doctor going to do with the polyps after he takes them out....?

No comments: