Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dental Misadventures

Last night I was flossing, as suggested by my dentist, and my new temporary crown came off (for the second time). I figured this morning that I would just jaunt over to the campus dental clinic (about 2 blocks from studio). I tried to call first - the line was busy - so I figured, they'll be able to squeeze me in for a five-minute session to get the crown attached.

How could I have been so naive? I completely underestimated the amount of bs involved in a simple medical visit. Here's a transcript (edited for flavor!)

Me: Hi. I have a temporary crown that came off, and I need it reattached.
Desk Bitch: Okay, when is your appointment?
Me: I don't have an appointment, I just need this crown put back on.
DB: Oh. Did you call ahead?
Me: No, I was right here on campus.
DB: It's usually better if you call in first. We'll need to schedule an appointment. Are you a student or staff?
Me (rapidly losing patience): Student.
DB: What's your ID number?
Me: Takes out wallet, gets UCard, reads number.
DB: Looks at screen. Brian?
Me: Yes.
DB: Did you have that done here?
Me (extremely annoyed by now): No, my regular dentist is in Rochester.
DB: What kind of insurance do you have?
Me: Hands insurance card to her with heavy sigh.
DB: Will your insurance let you see a different dentist?
Me: Out of patience at this point. I just need the thing reattached.
DB: Right. But they'll charge you --
Me: Or maybe I can go without?
DB (Impervious to sarcasm): [I don't even remember what she started saying at this point, because:]
Me: Just gimme my card. Takes insurance card and walks out.

Of course, I still need the thing fixed. I just couldn't deal with her bullshit any longer.
SO I walked back to studio, then called my good friend Mary over at Information. She connected my directly to the dental appointment desk, & I set up a 2:45 appointment to get a crown reattached - again, this is about a 5 minute job. My favorite part was the last thing the chick said: "We'll need you to show up about 2:30 to fill out paperwork."

No comments: