Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Summer Vacation, Part 1

I label this post Part 1 not because I know there will be subsequent parts, but because there might be, and because it implies that there will be, so people will keep coming back in anticipation of future "Summer Vacation" posts. Seriously, they will. I'm sure of it.

So I've been finished with the school for 5 days now, and what have I been doing with myself? I had thought, "Once the semester is finished, I'll have time to make a blog entry every day. How exciting and modern I will be! Everyone will want - nay, need to be my friend." (Perhaps I need a catchy slogan.)

I should have known better, of course. Summer vacation has been, at least initially, a time for sleeping in and watching TV, and doing a bit of reading, and avoiding anything that smacks of responsibility. Until today.

Today, I moved several dozen strawberry plants. The story goes like this: A couple of years ago, Ben's mom gave us a 5 or 6 very sickly little strawberry plants that were of a variety she didn't care for. I figured I'd stick them in the ground & see what happened, but was more keen on getting them to grow than really getting anything out of them. They were planted in very poor soil, but watered regularly, and seemed to perk up.

Then they started spitting out runners. And this year, there was a thick mass of strawberry plants covering about 30 square feet. So I moved them, and decided that if I spaced them about 12 to 18 inches apart, they would have enough room around them to spread a bit. We now have about 100 square feet of strawberries, and I'm curious to see what happens over the next couple of years.

Then I moved some daylilies. I had moved a few when we first moved into the house, and they were doing fine in their new home. The problem was, that new home was getting overrun with weeds, and was also a place better suited to the strawberries. So I moved the lilies again, and now I have to go back outside and move the others that are still next to the house. I've no idea when they were last divided, but I can imagine it's been a while. Also, because they are currently in heavy shade, they haven't bloomed since we've been in the house. Their future home has more sunlight, so maybe we'll get to see what they look like in flower - though I suspect they're the standard yellow or orange ones, which can be nice, but a bit boring, no?

Wow. If you made it this far, you have a higher tolerance for boring rambling b.s. than I'd anticipated. Maybe I'll need to try harder next time, yes?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You know where I work. You know my tolerance levels.

Welcome back. Lunch date soon?