Monday, July 30, 2007

Helping African orphans become good little godbots

Today's Blog of Note (spoken loudly into echo chamber): Books for Africa. I'm not including a link - you'll see why in a moment. I thought it looked like a cool idea. The premise, it looks like, is to provide books to orphans in several African countries in an effort to provide them with an education. Of course, I wondered if my books written in English are really ideal....

Further investigation revealed the the program is run by the Rafiki Foundation, "a Christian organization whose goal is to help Africa’s orphaned and vulnerable children become godly contributors to their communities and the world."

I thought, "Hmmm, I have a feeling I know where this is going, but let's give it a chance - there's a very remote chance that they are providing education without trying to indoctrinate these kids." Not surprisingly, that hope was dashed:

The Rafiki Foundation provides God's Word and ministries of
mercy to the youth (both boys and girls) of African countries.

and

Rafiki schools provide a quality Christian education for the children who reside at the Village. The children learn to think, live, and lead others from a Biblical worldview.

In other words: We're going to provide them with an education, but we'll make sure they follow our wacky belief system about an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do, and, while he loves you, is eager to condemn you to eternal damnation if you don't follow is bizarre rules.

I wonder if I should send my copy of Achebe's Things Fall Apart.

No comments: