Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Speculative journalism

I think I need to turn off the TV now. We've entered the phase where the reporters and newscasters are rampantly speculating about the cause of the bridge collapse and stuff. They've gone past reporting of facts and moved smoothly into speculation about the causes. Was it terrorists? Was it weaknesses indicated in a 2006 report on the structure? Let's talk to a structural safety engineer and say, "I know you don't know anything about this particular case, but what might have happened?"

Morons.

1 comment:

Máire said...

It was kinda neat to see it reported on BBC World News. I of course mean "neat" in that "didn't realize our tragedies were that widely noted" way.

I also allowed myself a moment of humor at hearing that Pawlenty is governor of Minneapolis.