Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sweet, life-giving MLA citations

It's been acknowledged and widely recognized that I'm a nerd. I'm good with that. No problems there. But every once in a while, I wonder if I'm more nerdy than usual - perhaps a new breed of super-nerd, with powers beyond the fathoming of mere mortals.

So I'm writing up a short summary of some readings for one of my classes (I've finished the hardest of them; the other two should be easy). I'm putting together a bibliography, as one does, and realized how enjoyable it is to do that. I don't know what exactly makes it enjoyable. Is it the ordering of disparate sources into a brief list? The selection of certain pieces of information about the work that do not tell us anything about the content (beyond what we can infer from the title), and yet give us everything we need to locate the work? I don't know. It's odd, but after putting all three of them on the list, I had a feeling of more than just accomplishing one part of a larger task. I was filled with a momentary serenity, a sense that all was right with the world.

2 comments:

melander said...

OMG, I love writing bibliographies too! My as yet unfinished thesis is one paragraph of paper and three pages of Works Cited. I think once you've mastered MLA format, you just like to flaunt it--especially to those Chicago bastards.

Rachel said...

You are both sick. I love making lists, but bibliographies are ick. By that point, I've written the darned paper--isn't that enough?