Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Do people still actually make New Year's resolutions?

I used to be one of those people who, when January 1st rolled around, would think, "What things can I set out to do this year?" Then I realized that putting together a list of resolutions or goals for the year is silly, because I'm going to forget them within a week anyway. I could write them down, but then I'd have to carry around a ratty piece of paper for 365 days. How inconvenient!

I realize that 2008 is well into its second week already, but I'm wondering - does anybody out there still make New Year's resolutions? If so, what have you set as your targets for 2008?

In the interest of playing fair, here are a few items that I might put on such a list if I were inclined to do so, and if I actually thought I'd follow through on them:

- Finish school (Actually, I will be doing this one, whether I like it or not, so it doesn't necessarily fit here. But it is something I'll be spending considerable effort on for the next 4 and a half months.)
- Get a job (see comment on previous item)
- Lose weight (Yeah, I know - I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I don't really see myself putting much energy into this right now.)
- Read more (aside from what is assigned in classes)
- Write (see previous comment)
- Draw/paint (see previous comment)
- Travel

2 comments:

Máire said...

Um, eating better, maybe? It's not really a resolution-strength thought, though. Also being done with school, one way or the other.

Oh, and I've resolved to include the word verification in my comments, just so you know what silly things the system is making me type....

sohgvb

Brain said...

Ha! Sweet. I like that idea....

iddwfj

wait - how is that "word" verification? shouldn't it be an actual word?